Job and business creation
BARKING ENTERPRISE CENTRE
As part of the partnership, Agilisys stimulate job creation and build and strengthen local SMEs through the Barking Enterprise Centre (BEC). We also chair the local Skills, Jobs and Enterprise Board where we work very closely with the Council, local colleges and key business leaders to drive economic regeneration.
Our achievements so far include:
- Helping start up 1 new business a week between Easter and Christmas 2013 (36 in total)
- Creating 106 new businesses/ individuals into self employment since opening the BEC
- Supporting over 1,500 businesses with free and independent business advice and help in accessing finance
- Hosting over 100 business tenants in the BEC since opening in November 2011
- Holding over 60 free events, Masterclasses, workshops and seminars for local entrepreneurs to help their businesses survive and grow
- Working with Agilisys to help create over 220 new jobs for East London residents to date
The BEC supports local businesses through provision of flexible and low cost office accommodation, meeting room hire, free events and networking and free independent business advice from expert business counsellors.
ELEVATE EAST LONDON
We also offer apprenticeships and create jobs within our own organisation. Recently young local residents Tom Wright, Hayley Marjurum and Sonia Javed successfully completed their apprenticeships and won permanent roles in our Revenues and Benefits team. Two other young people who did their apprenticeships with us were able to get jobs at Greenwich Council. Filza Sohail won a permanent job in our Rents team and Victoria Whibberley also completed her apprenticeship to gain a permanent role in the HR & Payroll team. Find out more about them in our Annual Review 2013-14.
From left to right: Paula Trinder (Council Tax Apprentice Manager), Hayley, Sonia and Tom.